- No godmodding or powerplaying. The only characters that you can control are your own. Minor instances of godmodding - such as having your character grab another character’s hand and pull them somewhere - are passable, but it’s considered good manners to check with the other player first to make sure they’re okay with it. And if it comes to a fight, remember that your teenaged candidate is not the greatest swordsman on Pern.
- No metagaming. Character applications are visible to everyone. This doesn’t mean that all information in them is known in-character. This is especially important in this setting; Discovery Weyr is a haven to all kinds, and many characters may arrive fleeing their old lives back on Pern.
- Mature content is permitted, within reason. Sex scenes should “fade to black” and move to the explicit board as soon as clothing comes off. Topics that could seriously upset other players OOC - depictions of abuse or sexual violence, self-harm or suicide, graphic gore, etc. - should be discussed with the other player (or players) beforehand, not sprung by surprise in the middle of a thread.
- There is no word count on posts. Instead, focus on making sure that there is something in your post that other players can use for interaction. A two-sentence post that advances the plot is more useful than ten paragraphs of sitting silently in a corner.
- There are no activity requirements to play here, and your characters will never be taken away from you. (Worst case scenario, we invent an excuse to send them back to Pern for a while.) The exception is ranking characters: if you take a high-ranking or plot-necessary character, and then don’t respond in a timely manner when your character is needed for a plot, that character may be demoted and the rank will go back up in availability. Players will be given two warnings via PMs and at least three weeks IRL time before this happens, and will be informed of plots involving their characters well in advance. Exceptions will be made for extenuating IRL circumstances; this rule is really in place to make sure that the whole plot doesn’t stagnate waiting for one person to post.
- RP is supposed to be collaborative and cooperative. This isn’t a rule that will be strictly enforced, merely a gentle suggestion: try to be kind to one another. If someone seems like they’re not sure where their character fits in, reach out. Try to share the spotlight. We’re not saying “you must RP with everyone” - sometimes people’s characters just don’t mesh in interesting ways - but we are coming in with the expectation that you will create and participate in plots with other people… and that participation will be generously rewarded.
- There will be IC bigotry in evidence on this site. This is Pern: the society is sexist and homophobic, the Weyrs are traditionally colorist, and while Pern has no concept of race, mental illness is poorly understood. However, this is not set in stone. Characters are not just allowed, but encouraged to “rock the boat” as far as the status quo is concerned.