OOC Name: N/A
Toying with the future
37 | Female | Techcraft
Karaenys is an extremely beautiful woman. Though she is past her youth, she has aged very well, and can still be considered attractive by even the most particular of men. She has long, beautiful blond hair that falls in waves about her face. Her eyes are a deep shade of blue. Her skin is pale and pristine, but does burn easily if she does not take precautions out in the sunlight. Even so, she does not cower away in darkness, and prefers to be out and about in the light of day. She is tall and slender, with a womanly figure, and perhaps may still wish to have children even if she is a bit on the older side. Older women than she have procreated, but she is more uncertain of the man that would father her children, proving to be quite picky herself.
In clothes, Karaenys is quite picky. She prefers pretty things, feminine things, and expensive things. Having grown up in a wealthy home, and having made plenty of money on her own with her genetic tinkerings, she has never wanted for fine things. If she sees something she likes, she buys it, and this is especially true with clothing. She picks the clothes made by fine weavers, nothing below journeyman rank, and takes great care to assure that the quality of her belongings are well maintained.
Karaenys is very calm and collected all of the time. She is not the sort to make rash decisions, and thinks everything through to the very end. She is extremely sensible, and has been trained to be diplomatic by her very upbringing, while her parents had been dealing with people of warring holds and managing to survive on diplomacy. She is a good person to ask advice from, and takes time to consider all options. It helps that she has a good head on her shoulders, and has been able to reason herself through every difficult experience in her life, so much so that she feels that there has literally been no difficult experiences in her life.
For all of her intellect and education, Karaenys seems to lack in the simple knowledge of 'right and wrong' that others feel so strongly about. While she knows that her sister Nysnya felt deeply that what she did out of interest in her craft was 'wrong', she cannot think why. Toying with genetics, breeding for necessity, these are things that the world has learned to do and cannot be 'wrong'. They are literally doing what they can to save the world, by breeding infertility into dragons so that they cannot overpopulate the world, by creating more uses for whers so that they are no longer the blight on society that they once were. She cannot fathom why these things could be considered 'bad', when they are being done for the greater good of society.
While she has never had a child herself, Karaenys can be quite maternal. She loves children and young things, possibly from a lack of having any of her own. She has extreme patience with them, and adores spending time with them. She loves children of all shapes and sizes, and even ages. She does well with wherlings, weyrbrats, weyrlings, Candidates, and all sorts. She takes time to know them, and interacts well with them, going about learning who they are and what they hope to accomplish. She fosters their hopes and dreams, and only ever encourages the younglings to be all that they could ever hope to be. There is some small part of her that hopes that she can still be a mother, but would be happy to take on the children of others if she cannot manage having one of her own.
Mother - Raenya of Gold Raesk | +27
Father - Kanys of Bronze Kansk | +25
Brother - Karaen of Blue Karsk | +4
Sister - Raena of Silver Raesk| +2
Sister - Nysnya | -4
Brother-in-Law - Alenton | +5 (Married to Raena)
Niece - Alena | -17
Nephew - Raelen | -19
Brother-in-Law - Denal | -1 (Married to Nysnya)
- 0 - Born the third child of a pair of wherbreeders, seeking to perfect the lines between racing and combat for endurance racers. In truth, these lines were being looked at by many of the wealthier holders as possible mounts for land-forces. Whers that could run fast and fight? The bloodline was cherished for those needs, and with the slightly less-aggressive half-combat, half-racing gold being bred to the lean racing champion bronze was extremely desirable. Some wherlings from the pair were more formidable, the combat traits showing through greatly, others took on the dominant traits of the racing whers in the bloodline. In simplest truths for the little girl, she was raised in a wealthy family that was highly respected among larger Holds, though they had taken a rather diplomatic position of allowing their whers' offspring to go anywhere, the clutches between the mated gold and bronze were large enough to support high demands, though they split the "Bowing Tickets" evenly among the larger Holds. It was still up to the queen if an individual received an egg, but it was a high price with little chance of a refund to even get to Stand for the clutch. Of course, people they liked, or those that the wherhandlers thought would do well were permitted to stand at absolutely no charge, and often walked away with an egg. This was something they especially used when it came to apprentices and journeymen who liked their idea of breeding and was looking for something similar of their own.
- 4 - Her sister was born, the last child of the pair. Karaenys was just old enough to not become too jealous of her sister, especially with so many others to fawn over her. She was the little human queen of the whers, as her mother's gold had taken a liking to her the best and seemed to care for her as if she had been a wher offspring all along. Karaenys was never afraid of whers, not even the more aggressive combat whers, for few would dare to cross her mother's gold.
- 8 - She started to learn the ins and outs of breeding for preferred genes from her mother, who kept a close eye on a few of her gold's offspring that were bonded to individuals nearby, always happy to offer assistance and advice to their bondeds. Whers on their lands, even those bonded to the apprentices and journeymen, were well treated and cared for, so Karaenys never felt that trying to breed to enhance some specific trait was a bad thing. Her father, she noticed, tended to the human offspring more, making their family a bit more matriarchal, like whers themselves. Her mother was not to be crossed, but her father was loving and explained the reasons behind her mother's strict rules.
- 12 - An elderly gentleman came to their plot of land and took interest in breeding for specific genes. He was a master of the techcraft, but was in the age where the world was needing them less for their pokes and prods into the genetics of dragonkin. Still, things like breeding for genetics seemed to intrigue him, a smaller and less scientific method of getting what you wanted, but still one way that humanity was showing that they could overcome everything, even mother nature. Karaenys loved to listen to him when he spoke of the scientific research they did, and even at the young age of twelve her mind soaked up all his tales like a sponge. There was still such a need for genetic engineering, in her mind. She knew little of Weyrs, but what she did know was that there were still queens tearing each other out of the skies due to overpopulation, and soon they may even take it upon themselves to start killing the young of other females, to give their own offspring a better chance at survival, a trait many animals had. It was almost as if the overpopulation was affecting the minds of dragons and making them more animalistic, most especially the tales she had heard of the golden queens.
- 14 - Karaenys took to Techcraft, apprenticing at first to the elderly man who had stayed to see the results of some of their selective breeding processes. He was amused by the prospect, and liked to see the variation that came from the eggs when it was available. Even so, there were other things that a wealthy family could afford that would require his skill set. He tinkered with the wher goggles, making some a little darker where he could, but left the nonsense like making them more fashionable to the tanners and weavers who liked to decorate things so. While they could only work on the more mundane skills of the craft, like creating a large timepiece for her mother, he still spoke of the wondrous things they had done in his past. He had never been alive during the prime of AIVIS, when the machine itself had been alive, but much closer to it than Karaenys would ever be, and had worked on the coattails of those who had done so much over the centuries it lasted. Karaenys loved his tales far more than working on timepieces, and hoped to go to Landing someday.
- 15 - After much work on her parents, and with the assurances of her master, Karaenys was permitted to go to Landing to study Techcraft more officially. Private masters and journeyman could really only gain one so much knowledge, and with Techcraft so huddled around the place where the great machine had once been, pouring through archives even still, it was difficult to pretend that their daughter was getting the best education she could get in her preferred field anywhere but the heart of Landing. With no expenses spared, her mother and father paid for a seat on a grand ship that often carried the goods of the smitchcraft hall and glasssmith hall to Landing, as her master suggested that a knowledgeable captain would be the best way to get there safely.
- 16 - She received a message that her brother stood for one of her parent's wher's clutches, and was granted with a small egg. The hatchling that resulted was a fine blue wher, though completely on the racing scale and held very little of the combat breed. He wrote that his parents felt that this may have been a failed attempt, but that he adored his little bonded and had decided to split from his parents breeding project. He wanted to go for speed, not for speed and endurance, and hoped to help breed some of the fastest racing whers out there. He also stated that he would do less to encourage a mated pair, the way his parents had, as he felt that females of various lines might be able to help him and his blue produce a faster breed.
- 17 - Learning in the Techcraft Hall was much more in depth than most of the other crafts. At seventeen, she became a senior apprentice, while many others would have the opportunity to become a journeyman at this age. Karaenys did not mind, there was still so much more to learn, and she was dedicated to the craft. She loved tinkering with the machines now that there were so many options available to her, rather than just the simple timepiece for her mother. But she did hope that one day she would get an opportunity to look into the genetics of the Techcraft Hall, the part of the craft that was still reserved for only the most diligent of members. Few journeymen were permitted to practice it, and only slightly more masters. It was a difficult task, to try to modify the creatures that were not only strangling the resources of Pern, but also the most revered of protectors that the people of Pern had. She had learned long ago that it was a fine line to walk. Whers? Feel free to meddle with their genetics. Fire lizards? Absolutely! Who didn't love a fun genetically tinkered fire lizard? But dragons? No one wanted more yellows, the curse of the golden egg. And reds were fine and dandy, but why wouldn't they clutch? It was as if dragonriders specifically sought out their own demise, revering those dragons that reproduced in a time where reproduction was the cause of all of their problems. Even the dragons had learned this, but the people never would.
- 18 - She received a letter that her eldest sister married a man who took interest in their breeding stock. Of course, he had only taken interest in their stock because he had been interested in Raena herself, but that wasn't something the shy man would let on. Karaenys had not known enough in advance to attend the ceremony, but sent her congratulations to the pair along with one of her finer made timepieces. The kind that could be kept in a pocket, and had engraved their names on the back in delicate swirls.
- 19 - Word came that Raena and Alenton had their first child, a daughter that they named Alena. The family was happy together, and her mother helped in rearing the child with the new couple. They sent many other informative tidbits about the goings on of their little plot of land, who she knew that had received eggs, how well the last clutch had gone with a fine gold having been produced. The gold had gone to a representative of one of the large holds, but golden Raesk would never have permitted a daughter to 'compete' with her to stay, so it was for the best. The other gold had held true to some more combat genetics, bulkier and less of the build they had been looking for.
- 20 - Her eldest sister stood for a wher now, though it was from a racing pair that appreciated her brother's breeding lines. The leaner gold had taken a liking to her, and she was granted with a medium sized egg. What came from this egg was one of those rare things that her parents could never obtain, as silvers were only produced from pure racing lines. She was a silver wher, with the great spring in her step, and was long and lean and built to run. In truth, she would be perfect to breed with the stockier males that had been produced by her parents, but already her parents had been sending out notices searching for males who held more combat gene than their offspring did. It was the perfect opportunity to try with a new line that could be interbred later. Raena really didn't have a preference, so long as her pretty litle silver was happy. Golden Raesk had accepted the smaller silver Raesk easily enough, knowing that she was meant to bring more for her line and would not compete with her for the bronze mate she had had for so long.
- 21 - Her younger sister decided to move away from the small cothold where they raised their whers, and took it upon herself to become a Healer instead, focusing on the needs of people rather than engineering creatures to do the work for humans. Nysnya had never loved the idea of breeding animals for traits, and would have preferred that natural selection be allowed to take its course. And while no such thing had happened yet, she especially did not appreciate Karaenys's desire to tinker in genetics, trying to change the outcome of hatchlings as eggs or before they would even be laid by their clutchmothers, even if it was overall for the betterment of Pern. It was also during this turn that Raena and Alenton had their second child, a boy they named Raelen.
- 22 - After man turns spent in Landing as an apprentice, Karaenys finally was able to walk the tables to become a Journeyman of the Techcraft. She still had a ways to go before reaching her goal of tinkering with genetics, but she was patient and felt that this would all be worth it in the end. Many of the masters approved of her mindset, and appreciated her determination and diligence to the craft. So many others found it far too tedious, especially when given archival duties, and did not ever reach journeyman status. They kept a close watch on her to see how well she would do in the long run.
- 24 - Nysnya met a Harper man and, after a short while, married him. Karaenys was able to attend this happy ceremony, but noticed that there were several family members missing. Namely their parents, who not only felt the rejection of their youngest child, but also the rebuke of their craft. Nysnya may not have even invited them, but Karaenys would not allow this to hinder their relationship, and supported her sister in her decisions. Even if there was a hinge of distaste from Nysnya about Karaenys's desires to genetically alter creatures even before they were born. If Nysnya had her way, the only breeding would be done by natural selection, as she was certain that it posed some kind of problem for the creatures to be 'force-bred' for specific traits. It was not a discussion the sisters were willing to bring up.
- 26 - While she was back to her studies, the masters took it upon themselves to introduce her to the part of her craft that so intrigued her. The genetic modification of living creatures. Of course, they did not permit her to do anything at first, and she was only allowed to watch and take notes. Her notes were poured over by masters, and even handed to a few other journeymen. Here at Landing they still had technology that could look deeper into creatures than anyone on Pern had ever before, to be able to explain an individual by the very molecules that they were made up from. Her notes were quick, but legible, and more importantly contained all of the information she was being given. The masters and older journeyman accepted these notes, and informed her that she would eventually be permitted to try her hand.
- 27 - Raena had been sending many letters that she concerned for her sister's happiness. Both of her other sisters had married, and while their brother was not married he had been through several relationships and was even in one currently. Raena did not want any of her family to be without someone to love. So she wrote to Karaenys about Standing for a wher of her own. She knew that there was little desire for her sister to ever Impress a dragon, what with her thoughts on how they were 'killing Pern' without even truly meaning to, but there was always the love of whers that had come from knowing them in their youth. With everything in the Techcraft Hall going well, Karaenys actually asked the Masters if this would be permitted. Whers were not a necessity here, but they were also not a hindrance. Besides, there would be chances to tinker with their genetics, or at the very least genetics of their offspring, if they had a willing handler. So Karaenys went back home and stood for her sister's silver's latest clutch. The purely racing silver had had many sires for her children, the most recent was a pure combat iron beast, who had to be kept away after the mating process. The silver Raesk took a decent liking to her, and granted her an egg. Karaesk knew that if she hurried back, they could possibly look into the genetics of what would soon be her wher, but for the first time she didn't want to mess with a creature. She waited at home until the egg hatched before returning to the Techcraft Hall with her pretty brown. He was such a handsome beast, but was a pure modification between racing and combat, lean and fast, while powerfully built and somewhat aggressive. He was not the perfect racer, because he was already asking why other whers would just run against each other. What was the prize? What did it earn them?
- 28 - Back once more at the Techcraft Hall, with her new brown by her side, life was going very well for Karaenys. They had been granted a clutch of firelizard eggs, small enough that they were likely from a green, and Karaenys was granted permission to test her hand at genetic modification. These would be her first attempts, which would later give her a task to work with when she would try for mastery. In her time spent outside of those less traveled rooms with the ancient equipment provided by the once living AIVIS, she met a dragonrider. Dragonriders and crafters were common in Landing Weyrhold, as all the lines had blended together. Karaenys fell in love for the first time. He was a handsome man, bonded to a yellow dragon, and he stole her heart easily. They flirted for a while, courted for a short time, and eventually had a fully romantic relationship. The first turn was the best, as the pair happily courted one another and spent their time in each others arms.
- 29 - Romances on Pern are not always long lived. He told her of a daring mission he had been asked to take part in, something secret and found in the archives here in Landing, that he would never get another chance to do something so great. He told her of the Green Star, and the plan to inhabit it. It was something that had never been done before, not even attempted, and what kind of man would he be if he didn't at least try? He left her there, and set forth to the Green Star. She did not hear from him again.
- 32 - After turns of trying to find out more about this Green Star, Karaenys finally found an archivist who knew something about it. Her hopes of finding her former lover were dashed, however, when she learned that R'dan had never even made it to the Green Star, and had lost himself on the first trip between, along with a handful of others. She was devestated for a very short period of time, but sense came back to her. She had loved the man for a turn, longed for him for three, and now learned that he was gone forever. Even so, she looked to the possibility of a new world, and her interests were piqued.
- 33 - Karaenys put in her task to become a Master of the Techcraft. She had, in her time spent as a part of Landing Weyrhold, worked with the great generators, created the smaller machines used more readily around Pern, worked out structural blueprints for creating irrigation systems in detailed scenarios, and tinkered with a handful of firelizard eggs over her turn. Her Master project was to genetically modify a firelizard to produce overly large offspring, so that they could in turn carry small materials beyond small messages. It was not enough to merely change the egg itself to produce a larger fire lizard, but to change the dominance of the size gene to make future fire lizards larger. Her first attempt was with eggs from various clutches, which produced green and blue, along with a single brown and gray. They bonded to apprentices in the area that had been willing participants of this test, because who wouldn't be willing to get a new fire lizard? The next batch of eggs were less eagerly given, but contained large eggs from three different gold clutches. Two golds, a bronze, two browns, and one off-shoot pink thing came from the eggs once they had hatched.
- 35 - The firelizards from her genetic tinkering had matured, and with closed breeding standards, the greens met with brown, bronze, and blue from the modified group, and the two queens had been caught by a bronze and a brown. The results finally came in when their various clutches hatched. The genetic size difference was affected by the starting size of the parents, but the offspring were much larger at hatching than any of the parents were when they had hatched. They waited for second generation hatchlings to confirm that the project was considered a success, and at the age of thirty-five, Karaenys was granted the title of Master.
- 36 - Now with the title of Master and the draw of genetically modifying creatures out of her system, Karaenys and Karaesk are taken to Discovery Weyr, and become a part of the Whercaptain's Pack. Karaenys is seeking a new life, one with less need for change, that includes all the possibilities that a new planet has to offer. She is interested in seeing the new things that can be seen, the new beasts, and wonders what she can do to change the world for the better. She feels that she fills a great need in the new Weyr, as there are few others from the Techcraft that have agreed to make the move. In truth, there is more work to be done on Pern itself, but she feels that it is necessary to do all that she can here to possibly allow for a future that is brighter than the one for those who demand to remain solely upon Pern.
- 37 - She has now been on the Green Star for over a turn, and has watched as the Weyr has been populated. She watched as their numbers rose, and then were eventually drained as the attack of the strange avians she wishes to know more about. Karaesk fought bravely during the attack, and holds several scars across his form, but the pair survived to continue their journey as a part of Discovery Weyr.