OOC Name: Merry
Title: Grey Weyrling
"Go out looking for one thing and that's all you'll ever find."
29 | MALE | MINECRAFT
D'kairen is strong. And he looks it too. He has been involved in the mines since he was five years old, following his father down for shifts despite the protests of his mother, and his muscles show it. He is a decent height, at 6' tall, and has been that height since he was sixteen. He is ruggedly handsome and practically oozes confidence, meaning it is very rare to see him wince or stare at something uncertainly. These confident looks however are in no way condescending. He knows mining, he knows leading teams, has lots of experience and is generally sure that he's right. That said he will always answer questions if they are asked, or if he is challenged outright. D'kairen is an imposing man, and has a hard quality to his face, that can lead someone to believe that he might be annoyed or angry, even when he’s relaxed. D'kairen has an air of roughness to him, brought about by his upbringing, tempered by his experiences, that lasts even when he isn’t looking thoughtful. He often seems keenly interested in the world around him however.
His hair is dark and cut short. Long hair is hard to keep clean and he doesn't like the look anyway. D'kairen's eyes are dark blue, and piercing when angry. However these often thoughtful orbs are capable of softening when he is relaxed, believe it or not, even if they reveal little other than anger or interest due to the professional veneer he tends to keep up most times.
D'kairen reads and drinks wine on his down days, sometimes takes day trips to explore his surroundings, though not so much for the last few years before he left Crom. He is in exceptional shape now. His body is well-muscled, he could even be compared to a leaner sort of tank, with broad shoulders, defined abdominals, very strong legs, arms, and back. Generally, his posture is relaxed, albeit straight, due to his confidence. Essentially, he is positive no one is going to mess with him, however, he doesn't easily tense when he is provoked to a fight. He is often seen with a thoughtful look on his face, especially lately. He didn't expect to Impress.
D'kairen is the kind of guy you want to have on your side. He is a good person, despite his occasionally foul mouth and penchant for drink, and if he thinks you're in the right he will stand up and calmly defend you. This happens even if you don't know him at all. He will do this almost as readily for a complete stranger as he will for his friends. He is a patient guy, slow to anger, and acts like a father figure to most younger than him, and even some older. He actually cares about those around him.
He is... warmly dominant, it's the best way to describe it. Extremely confident and calm, when he insists he is right he almost always is. He doesn't claim to be right if he isn't sure he is. He acts like a patriarch, a father figure, and always thinks before he speaks and acts. He acts with 'gravitas', with dignity, and to many seems older than his actual years. He is thoughtful, sometimes too much so. He can get lost in his plans and sometimes fails to pay attention to his surroundings, to the point if he gets truly involved that he will forget he is eating something. But this is all compartmentalized of course. When he is on shift in the mine that is his focus. He doesn't day dream, doesn't think of other things. His craft is his passion and not much gets in the way of that. His thoughtfulness also manifests in that he thinks of others, keeps any concerns in mind, and often simply does nice things for people.
All said however he can have a foul mouth. Sure, he thinks before he speaks, but if he's drinking or among other miners he doesn't necessarily care about cursing. It is almost to be expected in those circumstances and he's a little sadistic in the sense that he enjoys cursing colorfully in front of people who have never been around him in casual circumstances. He smiles and laughs often when off duty, and not so much when on. He's a much warmer person when sharing a barrel of ale with some friends.
D'kairen is extremely driven. He knows what he wants to do, makes plans to do it and executes them. He always wanted to get his mining mastery, and even though it is now on hold, perhaps permanently, he still thinks of ways to do it. He is calm though, even in a crisis. In fact it is extremely difficult to even get him angry. The last time he remembers being in somewhat of a rage was when Dakysk was killed by a Telgar loyalist wher during one of the riots. He filed a formal complaint, after the riot had been pacified, but it had no result. It was why he left. It was also why he, uh, "hurt" the other handler on the way out.
- born in Crom to a Journeyman miner and his mate of several years
- started going into the mines when he was six, which greatly upset his mother. His father wanted him to start early, even if it was just checking out the sorting areas (all he was allowed to do at this point).
- officially took up the craft when he was 12.
- when he made it to Journeyman at 20, his parents gave him a mining wher egg. It hatched a sweet little Green.
- he started supervising crews and showed a real knack for finding ore. Dakysk helped greatly with this.
- a few years supervising crews and he had earned quite a bit of loyalty with the men. He looked out for them, took flak from higher ups when he stopped to ensure areas were safe.
- had an occasionally out of control habit of getting very drunk with his men after a shift and before a day off.
- loves to sing in his rough, awful voice.
- is always curious about the world around him, always thoughtful and thinking, though he does not often explain his thought process to anyone. He thinks, arrives at the best conclusion, and executes.
- is all about his work. He has had a few attachments over the years but never anything lasting.
- he started work on his master-piece, a complete survey of past, present, and potential future mine sites, complete with topographical maps, paths of approach with men and equipment, natural resources in the area, and evidence supporting which the most promising sites were.
- Telgar became more and more oppressive. He started to frown at work when it compromised the safety of his men. He wasn't fond of the raiding, or the attempts to seize everything the miners had worked so hard for years to achieve.
- his sweet, Green Dakysk was killed in one of the Crom riots (victim of a Telgar loyalist’s wher. All he was doing was attempting to make it back to their rooms after a shift when it happened, though he did have a hand in stirring the pot and so blames himself partially for her death.
- he decided to say “fuck Telgar” when his formal complaint brought no fruit, and made his escape to go to the Green Star and Discovery Weyr. His aim was to find more mines and work on his master piece there, though slightly different as he would have to do a lot more blind surveying.
- he didn’t expect to Impress at 28 years of age, to a Grey no less.
- loves Wolieth, though his tendency to do impulsive, reckless things with no mind for anyone else is very, very frustrating.
- Wolieth has started calling him "Big Daddy D". When asked why, the dragon explained that it's because he's a large, muscular man, he acts like a father to most of the other weyrlings, and his name starts with a D. Thankfully he doesn't use this name all the time, and never to anyone else.